T-Mobile Motorola Cliq is an old phone I found so I decided to root it for fun. I ran into minor problems, outdated tutorials and broken links. Just mix them together and voila! I used the SUPERONECLICK procedure posted on XDA’s website.
First off DON’T FORGET TO BACKUP all your data. Use a File Manager of your choice. Contacts automatically sync with your Google account.
ROOTING PHONE WILL VOID WARRANTY. If you brick your phone, that’s terrible and I am not responsible. It’s difficult to do so. You will need to have you phone connected to your computer
1. Install the Motorola Cliq Driver.
2. Download and install SUPERONECLICK 2.2. Thanks to ShortFuse.
(It would not budge at first, the phone would not gain root access. I restart the phone a couple of times. Gained root and SuperUser was installed.)
4. Open and Click: #2-Run this to start RECOVERY, and a CMD field should pull up. Wait a few seconds and then you will get the $ _
Type the following command:
5. Look at your phone and ALLOW the SuperUser or SU Request.
6. On the computer now it should give you a #. Type the following commands:
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
8. Shut phone off and to boot into recovery by HOLDING THE CAMERA BUTTON first followed by the POWER BUTTON for about…Just do it till it ask you to “PLEASE RELEASE THE CAMERA BUTTON.”
Then click the bottom VOLUME BUTTON to ENTER RECOVERY.
9. Manually backup using NANDroid > Then “Wipe Data/Cache” and “Wipe Dalvik Cache” under advanced. The last step is to highlight “install zip from SD Card” and click on the Rom to install; Reboot your phone.
10. Congratulations you should have successfully rooted and installed a Custom Rom for your outdated phone.
It took me about an hour to come to my senses. I went directly to Cyanogen which was last updated 06/16/2012.
TIPS: I can’t recall if GAPPS (Market and Gmail sync) was installed on this Rom. NO WORRIES if not, I would go to Rom Manager app and find the same version via Cyanogen 7.2.0 and click to download making sure you check the box for Google Apps. You don’t need to delete or back anything up just install and your phone will reboot.
I TRIED TO MAKE THIS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE BUT IT TAKES TIME.
Maybe this guide will help others with questions. Thanks for reading.